Call Recording Policy
Kitchen Emporium has in place a telephone system that is capable of recording conversations. Like many other organisations, this is a standard practice that allows the recording of telephone calls for quality monitoring, training, compliance and security purposes.
All calls received at Kitchen Emporium will be recorded by us and will be retained for a period of six months. These recordings will only be used for the purposes specified in this policy.
Purpose of this call recording policy
In order to maintain high standards and protect the public and staff we need to record all telephone calls received by Kitchen Emporium and retain them for a limited period of time.
We shall ensure that the use of these recordings is fair and that we comply with the requirements of the relevant legislation. This includes:
- The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
- The Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications Regulations) 2000
- The Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
- The General Data Protection Regulation 2016
- The Data Protection Act 2018
- The Human Rights Act 1998.
Scope of policy
All calls made to the Kitchen Emporium will be recorded. Under normal circumstances a call will not be retrieved or monitored unless:
- it is necessary to investigate a complaint
- it is part of a management ‘spot check’ that customer service standards are being met
- there is a threat to the health and safety of staff or visitors or for the prevention or detection of crime
- it is necessary to check compliance with regulatory procedures
- it will aid standards in call handling through use in training and coaching our staff. However, this will only be permitted if the recording is edited so that the caller remains anonymous and the member of staff who was party to the call agrees to its being used in this way.
Personal data collected in the course of recording activities will be processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with data protection law. It will be:
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- used for the purpose(s) stated in this policy only and not used for any other purposes
- accessible only to managerial staff
- treated confidentially
- stored securely
- not kept for longer than necessary and will be securely destroyed once the issue(s) in question have been resolved.
Advising callers that calls are being monitored/recorded
Where call recording facilities are being used we will inform the caller that their call is being monitored/recorded for quality/training purposes so that they have the opportunity to consent by continuing with the call or hanging up.